Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Recruitment Continues: WIP

Chaplain with Honor Guard. In the background, two assault squads' are visible.
Let me say that I absolutely support the 40K rule that, "What You See is What You Get" (WYSIWYG). Absolutely. In a tournament, it decreases a player's ability to mislead or cheat an opponent. However, when I'm forced to glue tiny frag and krak grenades onto each of my Blood Angel space marines...it was like creative kryptonite- an exercise in masochism. Perhaps I should have asked this question a week ago; For the purpose(s) of tournament play do you, reader, adhere to WYSIWYG so stringently that their equipment is reflected in the figure? Specifically, a unit's grenade(s) that are standard issue to that unit?
I'm not talking about primary or secondary weapons- meltaguns, plasma pistols, infernus pistols, melta-bombs, and such. I'm talking about frag grenades, krak grenades; compulsory or standard equipment found on every single unit of that particular type (such as infantry).


I magnetized the jump packs pictured because I want the ability to field assault squads' with jump packs, or with troop transports.
Do you model your 'nades?
Today I made sure that each of my Blood Angel marines had a krak and frag grenade on their person. I finished magnetizing different weapon arms, I bashed an infernus pistol from a meltagun, and I magnetized marines' backs, backpacks, and jump packs. For the jump packs, I used 1/8 x 1/16 rare earth magnets. I drilled a 1/8 hole into the back of each marine and glued a magnet into each hole. In turn, I pressed a 1/8 x 1/16 magnet into each jump pack. The size of the groove holds the magnet snugly without the need for adhesive, and the size of the magnets ensures that the jump packs don't move or fall off. Why all of this fretting and magnetizing? I want to make sure that each of my unit choices are represented accurately in the 40K Bits Bash 2,000 point Teams' Tournament this Saturday. Eventually, each firearm will have a hole drilled into it's muzzle; visually, it makes a huge difference to me.

After I was finished with my troops', I began work on my Dreadnought (a Forge World Chaplain Dreadnought). I have to admit I don't care to work with resin. It is brittle, it doesn't like glue (even after multiple washings'), and it is very poisonous. When drilling a hole for a magnet into the Dread's right arm, I had to do it outside wearing a breathing mask. I wet the resin piece(s), and the drill bit so that the resin dust/debris would be heavier and less likely inhaled. Now, a question about your Dread; did you glue your dread's arms' in place, or somehow leave them loose? This model's legs' are connected to it's abdomen by a ball joint that fits into a hole in the bottom of it's abdomen. However, the fit is very loose, and I have yet to decide the best way to anchor the two pieces together to afford pivoting. Same issue with it's arms- should I use magnets in those places as well?
A Forge World Dreadnought arm (Pictured Left) in comparison to a Games Workshop Dreadnought arm (pictured right). I drilled a magnet into the FW hand, and eventually glued FW talons' to it. In this way I can swap out the left talon for different weapons.
I'm going to use a small piece of guitar wire, cut to size, that will run from the meltagun to the base of the Dread's shoulder.
Depending on the humidity tomorrow, I may base-coat my troops, finish my dreadnought, and finish bits and the Flamestorm cannon for my Baal Predator.
I have committed to a 1,000 point list for the Tournament, Saturday, and I'm looking forward to getting some practice during Thursday's Throw-Down.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails