Saturday, April 17, 2010

Warhammer 40K MMO Update 04/17

PC Gamer drops a few new details on the in-development Warhammer 40,000 MMO that was announced in March 2007. This MMO will play more like an RPG than an FPS, even though there will be extensive gunplay elements, such as flanking, suppressive fire, and cover...


Read the original article here.
 
I'm a long-time fan of Joe Madureira (consequently the slated creative director for WH40k Online) and the proper spelling of his name has elluded me equally as long.

I'll be honest, I have very low expectations for this title, even though my hope is that it will live up to the hype. However, anyone that has played an MMO knows just how unrealistic that hope can be.
I played Warhammer Online, but grew disenfranchised with it due to the pvp game. Warhammer Online had great potential, but a lack of balance, bugs and a monotonous pvp game (which was largely broken the eight months that I subscribed) led to Warhammer's demise. The vacuum that resulted from that mass exodus left server populations largely unbalanced. This further compromised the pvp game.
In my personal experience, EVE was the one MMO that never disappointed. There is a definite learning curve, but those players that stick with it are definitely rewarded. Added to the fact that EVE is a big sandbox (where a player can do anything they want including lying, cheating and stealing from their fellow players) made the game very entertaining and very compelling during the time that I subscribed to EVE.

We'll see how THQ manages this title. I'm bummed that the game won't be an FPS, but that won't deter me from trying Warhammer 40K if it looks appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails